The Assistant State Forester is an unclassified full-time position with the Alabama Forestry
Commission, which is based in Montgomery, Alabama. By state law, this position will be filled by
appointment of the Forestry Commission, with the approval of the Governor. This is a non-merit
appointment, and the Assistant State Forester will serve at the pleasure of the Commission.
This position involves highly responsible administrative professional work in the field of forestry with
an opportunity to immediately employ organizational leadership, add to the Commission’s evolving
successes, and enjoy a competitive salary with great benefits to include accumulation of annual, sick,
and holiday leave, and health insurance and retirement benefits. The successful candidate will be
responsible for serving as chief assistant to the State Forester with oversight of the four regions that
comprise the Alabama Forestry Commission as well as other tasks assigned by the State Forester.
Emphasis is placed upon the knowledge and application of specialized techniques inherent to agency
operations. Supervision is exercised over a staff of professional, technical, and clerical employees.
By state law, any candidate for the position of Assistant State Forester must hold at least a bachelor’s
degree in forestry, forest management or forest engineering and have considerable forestry
experience. Additionally, any well-qualified candidate will have the following preferred qualifications:
• Be a Registered Forester licensed to practice forestry in the State of Alabama.
• Ten years of progressively responsible experience with organizational management in forest
management, and/or wildland fire mitigation or suppression, including experience at the level
of a Work Unit Manager or higher with the Alabama Forestry Commission or an equivalent
position with another organization
• Supervisory experience in program management, administration, budgeting and operations
with proven organizational and communication skills
• Evaluation of training and experience as indicated on resume and a personal interview.
HOW TO APPLY
• Apply by submitting cover letter and resume to Alabama Forestry Commission Personnel
Office by email: email@example.com. For additional information please
contact Nikki Barnes at (334) 462-7159.
WHAT HAPPENS NEXT
• Submissions meeting the minimum requirements will be considered for interview.