The Central Pine Barrens Joint Planning and Policy Commission, through the Suffolk County Water Authority, is currently accepting applications for a Fire Management Specialist to perform key roles in managing the Comprehensive Prescribed Fire Program for the Central Pine Barrens region.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- leading the development and implementation of all aspects of the prescribed fire management program;
- the supervision and training of prescribed fire crews;
- conducting fuels, smoke and wildland fire management/mitigation;
- assisting with public education and outreach
- assisting in the preparation of prescribed and wildland fire management plans for ecological and fuel management in collaboration with other agencies and stakeholders.
The overarching programmatic goals for the prescribed fire program include fostering biological diversity; natural resource conservation and restoration and wildfire risk reduction within the Central Pine Barrens.
This position is full-time (37.5) hours a week and will be a designated term position that exists as long as the commission receives NYS funding to implement a prescribed fire program. Salary is commensurate with education and experience and ranges from $75,000 to $80,000 with benefits. The job posting and applications for this position can be reviewed and submitted through the Suffolk County Water Authority website.
The mission of the Central Pine Barrens Commission is to manage land use within the Central Pine Barrens to protect vital ground and surface waters and the region’s vast and significant natural, agricultural, historical, cultural, and recreational resources for current and future Long Island residents. Further information on the Central Pine Barrens Joint Planning and Policy Commission can be found by visiting our website and our prescribed fire page.