|Salary Details||$15.00 per hour|
|Deadline||May 24, 2021|
The Natural Resource Crew Technician participates in operations, restoration, maintenance, and management of park properties. This crew will be primarily focused on invasive species management but will participate in other natural resource management activities such as prescribed fire, timber stand improvement, monitoring, planting, etc.
Prescribed fire which may include but not limited to burn unit prep, fire operations, managing staff and volunteers, maintenance of equipment and supplies, mop up, and monitoring.
Invasive Species management which may include but not limited to chemical and mechanical control, mapping/surveys, education, and monitoring project sites.
Restoration activities which may include but not limited to planting, mid-story control, timber marking, etc.
- Standard work week will be Monday through Friday 0800 hours to 1700 hours but will change frequently and on short notice
- Work week is 40 hours with occasional weeks over 40 hours, occasional weekend hours
- Requires ability to travel and stay overnight frequently
- Based at Raven Rock State Park, Lillington, NC
- Housing is available at Raven Rock State Park
- Ability to operate various types of equipment in a safe and efficient manner (chainsaws, ATV/UTV, tractor and implements, leaf blower, radio, hand tools, drip torch, backpack sprayers, etc.)
- Ability to follow written and verbal instructions from co-workers
- Ability to develop time frames and then complete task within time frames
- Ability to perform physical work, sometimes under adverse conditions or in inclement weather
- Ability to navigates to remote sites with map, written directions, and GPS
- Qualified as, or able to meet qualifications for Fire Fighter Type 2
Minimum Experience and/or Education:
- High school diploma and 1 year experience in science related field, or land management field work
- Prefer associates with 1-year experience or bachelor’s degree in forestry, biology, ecology, natural resources management or related field
- Ability and willingness to handle herbicides during vegetation management
- Ability to mix, handle, and apply herbicides in accordance with label directions and crew supervisor instructions
- Ability to learn how to correctly identify invasive plants with minimal review, and to differentiate invasive plants from native vegetation of similar appearance
- Ability to operate and conduct field maintenance of vehicles and to recognize and avoid hazards associated with operating them
- Ability to operate various types of hand and power tools and machinery in a safe and efficient manner
- Ability to handle and maintain tools, equipment, and supplies in good working order for daily operations
- Ability to record and maintain data and keep monitoring records
- Qualified as Fire Fighter Type 2 or quickly meet the qualifications
- Resolves challenges with supervisor
- May resolve management problems independently or as delegated by natural resource staff
- Consult with supervisor to develop plans for resolution of unusual or complex problems
- Consults with supervisor on unusual or complex issues
- Make day to day decisions affecting individual work and work of the natural resource crew
Responsibility/Oversight-Financial and Supervisory:
- Receives detailed instructions to complete required tasks
- May work under close supervision or infrequent supervision
- Conducts support duties such as routine maintenance of equipment with help of supervision
- Ability to interact with the members of crew, park staff, and public
- Consults with supervisor in event of any unusual circumstance, problem or question that falls outside of general park management realm
Working Conditions/Physical Effort:
The Natural Resource Crew Technician may work in variable weather conditions, at remote locations, on difficult and hazardous terrain and under physically demanding circumstances.
- Present frequent possibility of injury
- Require long hours in isolated settings
- Require physical exertion, outdoors, in all weather conditions and on difficult and sometimes hazardous terrain
- Outdoor environment presents potential exposure to poisonous plants and biting or stinging insects.
- Require the ability to operate heavy machinery
HOW TO APPLY
Applicant needs to email a cover letter and resume to email@example.com