Job Type: Full Time
Benefits: Benefits include health and dental insurance, retirement, paid vacation and sick leave.
Term: 3 years
Supervisor: Director of Private Lands Fire Initiative
Closing Date: 11/30/2021
Job Description for Northwest Florida PBA Coordinator
Office Location; Bonifay, FL
General Overview: Tall Timbers, a research station and accredited land trust, is seeking an
experienced professional to serve as the coordinator for the Northwest Florida Prescribed Burn
Association (Association). This position 1) acts as a coordinator at the behest of the Tall
Timbers, Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS) and the Association 2) works closely
with Board of the Association and other partners to coordinate and ensure prioritization and safe
execution of prescribed burns on private land within the Association 3) leads the effort to create
communication and collaboration with private land participants within the Association 4) assists
in reducing backlog of NRCS burn acres when and where feasible within Association and 5)
assists in burn implementation as needed as a team member with the Tall Timbers Private Lands
1) facilitate day to day operations of the Association.
2) incorporate at least 50 private landowners for inclusion in the Association.
3) coordinate with Tall Timbers staff to utilize the SE Fire Map tool to prioritize these
landscapes for burning.
4) serve as a regional outreach coordinator or expert in prescribed burning.
5) help instruct landowners through the burning process to include use of vendors.
6) set up and maintain at least one fuel treatment demonstration area in the region.
7) coordinate at least quarterly prescribed burn workshops and/or trainings and/or learn to burns
in each region.
8) assist individual members of the Association through the prescribed burning process (both pre
and post fire) by utilizing their knowledge of fire behavior, fire effects and the business of
9) coordinate semi-annual training in prescribed fire practices
10) work with Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission (FWC), NRCS and other
regional partners to find funding to establish and maintain a local burn trailer or equipment cache
to be utilized by Association.
11) serve as a facilitator and matchmaker between private landowners in the PBA and private
vendors or other regional burn teams to ensure burning takes place in a timely manner.
12) coordinate closely to ensure adequate, localized training for workforce development in
Tall Timbers Research, Inc. is a non-profit, tax-exempt organization whose mission is to foster exemplary land stewardship through
research, conservation and education. Equal opportunity employer.
13) coordinate an annual meeting with prescribed burning vendors to help address regional
constraints to more prescribed burning.
14) serve as a prescribed burn crew member with the Tall Timbers burn team.
15) at least weekly correspondence with other PBA coordinators and Tall Timbers supervisor.
16) weekly correspondence with regional NRCS staff.
17) communicates research needed to facilitate more prescribed burning to NRCS Working
Lands for Wildlife Regional Coordinator and Tall Timbers staff.
18) keep up with budget, quarterly reporting and record keeping
• A minimum qualification of a Bachelor’s degree in the field of forestry and/or wildlife or
relevant nature resource degree
• At least 5 years of experience in natural resource management.
• Prescribed fire training is necessary (state certification and/or S130, 190 series).
• Understanding of how burn vendors operate is preferable.
• Familiarity with fire ecology of the Southeastern U.S. is essential.
• Familiarity with mapping programs and project management tools.
• Ability to complete tasks in the absence of supervision. Self-motivated.
• Willingness to work long hours and weekends as needed, and work in close contact with
colleagues and landowners of varying backgrounds and dispositions.
• Excellent people skills.
• Strong attention to details and process.
• Familiarity of NRCS cost-share programs is desirable.
• Must show proof of vaccination for COVID-19.
Location: Office space is made available in Bonifay, Florida, but applicant can spend 3-4 days /
week telecommuting. Computer available. Phone stipend available. Work miles reimbursed.
To Apply: Send cover letter and CV or resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line
“Coordinator of NW Florida Prescribed Burn Association”. Please no calls